Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

A Letter to the Thieving Woman Who Stole from Society's Most Vulnerable People

Dear Selfish, Abhorrent, Thieving Individual of the Lowest of the Low,


Seriously? Okay, okay....stealing in general is wrong. Yes? I think we can all agree on that. But stealing from individuals with developmental disabilities? Individuals who had known you and placed their trust in you for years? Individuals for whom trust has already been ripped from their hands and hearts repeatedly by shitty parents and other shady folks? My understanding of your way of thinking wanes and all I can think is...WTF? Who does that?


My stomach literally was tied up in knots when I heard of your actions. 


By the way, and yes, this brings this issue to a selfish light on my part, but a good portion of the money you swiped from those innocent, vulnerable people was money the state entrusted to them for their well being. In case you didn't know, because surely you're not the most clever of individuals, that money came from the money I gave the state in taxes. I don't want it back, really. That's fine. I would, however, like it returned to those who need it for their basic daily functions. And for that matter, it's money you gave the state in taxes too. Unless you committed tax evasion as well, which now seems entirely possible. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, because I'm guessing the state would have caught on to that fairly early on in the game, I'm guessing you paid at least a part of your taxes. So good job. Yeah, you stole from the most vulnerable in society and that makes you an incredible jackass. But the joke's on you. Way to go, robbing yourself blind. 


When the warden robs you from your jail cell, perhaps you'll understand. Because a good warden will certainly follow the Golden Rule and that frankly sucks for you.


Okay, I'm getting a bit carried away here. One of us has to be the adult, and to do that I should not resort to calling you names and wishing ill for ill. So I'm going to take a step back for a moment and try to understand just what the hell was going through your mind. 


I know you've got a couple of kids and I also know your salary is peanuts. That weighs on a person. I'm sure you want your children to be able to eat and keep warm in the harsh mid-western winter. Maybe you started out just taking a little here and there; enough to cover your son's lunch money or your daughter's field trip. From there it's a slippery slope, isn't it? Especially once you realized how easy it was. A dip here. A dip there. But then...then you got carried away. You got careless. You got greedy. You got caught. And your kids? Well, they might have full bellies, but a mom in prison may have more extensive negative results than having to eat lunch on the government's dime. I'm sure prison and the fate of your children with you in it was not what you were thinking. But, as stated previously, I really don't know what you were thinking. I don't know what you are thinking now and I don't know what you'll be thinking when those cold metal bars slam shut and you find yourself in a cell with nothing but time to think. My only hope is you'll realize (and thus lament) the weight of your preposterous actions, especially the further lack of trust you've now instilled in those who have already been burned and lack the capacity to do anything about it.


My heart goes out to you. It really does. For the desperation you must have felt to take from those most vulnerable or for your pure cluelessness as to how to be a decent human being. Which ever it is, I hope you get it figured out. Everyone involved deserves more in life than this. Even you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment