Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Letter to the Radio Station That Plays the Same Songs Every Night

Look. 
I really don't listen to a lot of regular radio (save NPR). But I'll be honest: sometimes I like listening to your station and others like it because I just want a dose of entertaining, unthought-provoking songs I know and can absent-mindedly sing along to. 
So, at first, when your station was left playing all night, every night in a separate room I don't have access to, I didn't mind.
I sang along to "Iris." To "Bittersweet Symphony." To "One." To "Someone Like You." To "Paradise." And yes, by the end of a few nights in a row, even to "California Girls," and sadly, not the one by The Beach Boys.
(I'd link those to videos, but I don't want Johnny SOPA-Law knocking down my door and hauling me to internet jail.)
And I realize that I'm keeping vampire hours and that not that many folks are awake through the wee hours of the night. Most of your listenership is tucked snug in their beds, safe from the terror of repetitive radio.
I'm estimating the population of listeners, including me, is probably about six. So, I'm guessing the effort you put into constructing your overnight playlist is minimal. 
But please.
I beg you. 
For the sake of the six of us poor souls who want to maintain some sort of tolerant affection for Adele, U2, and the fabulously cheesy pop songs of our 90's youth (and maybe in order to cling to our waning sanity)-
Find some new songs!
There are literally millions of songs out there waiting to be played, begging for the nightlight to shine upon them once more. Why do you insist on spinning the shit out of the same 37 songs? Every. Single. Night. In roughly the same order, as well. 
This aggression will not stand, man! (Shhh, don't tell the SOPA police.)
Wait a minute. Do you need a new music director? Cuz, I know someone looking for a job. Let's talk. 
Wait. That probably won't work, will it? Since I am a human being and your radio station is run entirely by computers and salesfolks. 
I guess I'll have to learn to be a hacker and hack my way into your system to switch up the playlist. (First order of business? Avril Lavine's music is being deported straight back to the frozen wasteland of our friendly Northern neighbors. Sorey.)
And that hacker bit will come in handy for evading the SOPA fuzz.
So, never mind.
I guess we're good. I'll get it taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment